Local Academy Board
Consilium is a Multi-Academy Trust with a family of nine schools across the north of England. Within each school a Local Academy Board has been established. Local Academy Boards (LAB’s) may also be known at other Trusts as ‘Academy Committees’, ‘Local Governing Boards’ or ‘Local Advisory Committees.
Local Academy Boards are a formal and important part of the governance of Consilium Academies and the contributions of members are very much valued by the Trust Board.
Each LAB is composed of different members, two of which are elected by parents and carers of children on roll at the school. Parent members are elected through a process which is defined in a key document called the ‘Articles of Association.’ Two further members of the LAB are appointed by staff within the school, and the remaining members (including the Chair) are appointed by the Trust Board.
Parent Trustees and Parent LAB members play an important role within the board. The role is to support the Trust itself and provide insight on behalf of other parents of students who attend the school. A key function of the LAB is to engage meaningfully with all parents and carers as a whole.
The Trust Board determines the level of delegation or responsibility which is to be passed to the Local Academy Boards. This is subject to review on a yearly basis and responsibilities can be added or removed dependant on how well the Trust Board feel that the LAB is managing. Some of the typical areas which are covered at local level may be;
- Support of the efficient and effective operation of the Trust and its policies
- Support and challenge (where appropriate) to the school leaders, particularly around issues related to school performance, pastoral care and the safeguarding of pupils
- Share issues and risks with the Trust Board if necessary
- Scrutiny of reports which may be supplied by school leaders or members themselves
- Provide a meaningful link with the community, parents and the students of the school, sharing feedback with the Board, regarding challenges but also to celebrate successes
- Provide feedback to the Trust Board in relation to policies and practices which are personal to the school, (policies which are delegated to the LAB are identified in a document called the Scheme of Delegation.
If you would like more information on the work of the LAB, or you are interesting in volunteering to become a member of a LAB, please contact me, or the Head teacher of the School.
Thank you for your interest.
Contact our Local Academy Board Members
Telephone - 0161 736 1773
Email - email@example.com
Post - C/O Clerk to the LAB. Buile Hill Academy, Eccles Old Road, Salford. M6 8RD.
You can also send a message to one of our LAB members or trustees by completing the form on our contacts page.
Our school governors are:
- Mrs A Simmons
- Mr G Thompson
- Mrs Y Shalabi
- Ms J Jordan
- Mr B Ewart