Year 11 Support
Year 11 is a significant milestone in every child's educational career. As a school, we recognise the importance that an effective partnership between teachers and parents/carers has on a student's final outcomes, which is why we want to ensure that you have all the information you need to be able to support your child through their final year of secondary school.
Following the disruption of the pandemic, we know that exams are going to be back in Summer 2022. So far, the Department for Education, have told us the following:
- Exams will happen in May and June 2022 as normal
- Advance information on the focus of summer exam content will be given in early February, though we are keeping the timing under review in case the course of the pandemic worsens
- There will be some adaptations to the exams in order to have students achieve their full potential. These include
- A choice of topics or content on which students will be assessed in GCSE English literature, history and geography
- Providing advance information on the focus of exams to support students' revision in subjects where there is not a choice of topics
- Giving students formulae sheets in GCSE maths and revised equation sheets in GCSE combined science and physics
- Changing requirements for practical science work and practical art and design assessments to ensure fairness
- While it is the government's firm intention for exams to go ahead next year, schools have been told to be aware that contingency plans may need to be put in place in the event that they cannot. Ofqual and the DfE plan for Teacher Assessed Grades to be used and are today launching a consultation on how this might work in 2022, building on the 2021 process.
Tips for parents
Below are some useful links that may help you to support your child more effectively at home: