Our Vision and Approach in Science
The Science Department at Buile Hill Academy believes in providing the best opportunities for our young people to develop their Scientific understanding of the world around them. Through a knowledge rich curriculum, pupils will be given the opportunity to talk, write and work scientifically. We are committed to providing an inclusive, stimulating environment which inspires a love for knowledge and learning. Our young people will develop the skills to enable them to have informed debates based on a grounding of scientific fact and be able to distinguish evidence from misleading conjecture. Exposing pupils to a plethora of Scientific knowledge, cultivating the ability to critically analyse information and justify their opinions will prepare pupils to be successful well-informed citizens who can pursue a career of their choice.
What our students will learn
Our curriculum is sequenced to cover a series of topics across the academic year to give students a full experience of the big ideas in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The breakdown of topics covered across the year groups is detailed in the grid below. Please note this is subject to change as we adapt our curriculum to meet the needs of our students.
How you can support your child’s learning in Science:
Students will have a knowledge organiser for each of their schemes of learning. Students can use these to test themselves on the core content throughout the term.
● Question your child on what they have learnt: How does it relate to the real world?
● Encourage them to watch the news regularly to keep up to date with current scientific developments. Ask them how these developments link to their learning in their Science lessons
● Students at KS3 will be given a retrieval knowledge quiz homework every two weeks
● Students at KS4 will be given a retrieval knowledge quiz homework every week Websites you can visit:
● BBC Bitesize KS3 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zng4d2p
KS4 Combined Science - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zp266yc
KS4 Triple Science: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zrkw2hv
● Youtube – Primrose Kitten Science Videos This is the largest free collection of GCSE Science videos on youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/primrosekittenscience