Business & Communication Systems
Business and communication systems is an option that students can take from year 10.
Students will consider the practical application of business concepts. The units provide opportunities to explore theories and concepts in the most relevant way, through the context of events in the business and economic world.
The knowledge and skills gained from this specification will provide your students with a firm foundation for further study.
This qualification is linear. Linear means that students will sit all their exams at the end of the course. There are 2 exams at the end of the course where students have to apply their knowledge to case studies in the exam.
Students apply their knowledge and understanding to different business contexts ranging from small enterprises to large multinationals and businesses operating in local, national and global contexts. Students develop an understanding of how these contexts impact on business behaviour.
Students will apply their knowledge and understanding to business decision making including:
- the interdependent nature of business activity, influences on business, business operations, finance, marketing and human resources, and how these interdependencies underpin business decision making
- how different business contexts affect business decisions
- the use and limitation of quantitative and qualitative data in making business decisions.
The exams requires students to draw on the knowledge and understanding to:
- use business terminology to identify and explain business activity
- apply business concepts to familiar and unfamiliar contexts
- develop problem solving and decision making skills relevant to business
- investigate, analyse and evaluate business opportunities and issues
- make justified decisions using both qualitative and quantitative data including its selection, interpretation, analysis and evaluation, and the application of appropriate quantitative skills
Pupils will be expected to complete one piece of homework a week, as per the school calendar.